TONIC: a substance taken to give a feeling of vigor or well-being!
In these days in the turning of the season, when so much is raging and swirling–from the weather to the headlines to the principalities and powers, I often wonder where my energy will be replenished, refilled, kept alive. Much come comes from many of my spiritual practices, all being reformed, in my life. However, I am am increasingly aware of how much tonic –energy, renewal, healing–comes from my encounters–face to face, phone to phone, e-mail to e-mail–with people whom I have been given.
Having lived through a cascade of sorrows among my family, friends and the world in this past season, I am buoyed up by these tastes of tonic through the duration:
- a piano concert by a friend celebrating her jubilee year
- a recommendation of a book I haven’t read or a series on Netflix
- a memory shared about my high school or college days
- a phone call out of the blue
- laughing out loud with someone whose sense of humor is as off-center as mine
- an insight into ways to carry the Light in the midst of a darkness
- an honest reflection about how things are from another point of view
- an adventure trying something that seemed a little scary
- prompts from recollections of things past that gave nourishment and hope–old hymns, former spiritual practices
These sips of tonic bring grace and beauty to the living of days that are so easily cluttered with deeds of greed, dishonesty and stories of pain. They bring hope–“Tis Grace that brought me safe this far, and Grace will lead me home.” They are concrete reminders that the Holy One that I follow and trust never slumbers and never sleeps. and that there are no final defeats.
And so I take a turn into a new year of life for me in a week, my intention will be to seek tonic wherever it appears, and to savor it, swirl it around in my mouth before I swallow it, and continue to discover the many ways the God is good..to me, to those I love, and to the worlds God created!
Drink up! Lovely.
This is just wonderful and certainly perfect for me right now!
Drink deeply, my friend. And Happy Birthday!